Monday, May 19, 2014

Eternal Love


One week ago, we said our final goodbyes to our beloved family dog, Tasha.  It is a decision we all must face as our furry friends decline in their health and we spare them of any more suffering.  As I reflect on the day we brought her home, my memories take me back to our children and their happiness.  My oldest, Jenna, was 15 years old, Krysta was 13 and Josh was 11.  They were the perfect age to take on the responsibility of a new puppy.  On our way home from the breeders, we stopped at a park alongside the road and played with her in the grass.  I can still remember this moment in time, listening to the laughter while trying to name our newest member of the family.  Krysta would name her Tasha and Krysta would ultimately become her closest friend.  These memories contrast with the final moments of her life, one of which I will never forget, forever implanted in my soul.  It was one of those spiritual connections you don’t ever anticipate.  I was sitting on the floor with Tasha saying my goodbyes and kissing her nose.  With a tear in his throat, Dave said he couldn’t stay in the room.  I looked in his eyes and saw such grief and pain.  At that very moment, I connected with Dave as I spoke the words, “it’s okay, I’ll see you in a little while.”  The deep connection I felt with Dave continued with Tasha and then with each one of my children.  Our spirits had somehow connected in a way I can’t explain.  I spoke each one of our names and added the words “loves you”.  And then it came, the peace that surpasses all understanding, the peace that clearly says to your heart and soul. “all is well.”  The peace that affirms all love as eternal whether it is for people, animals or nature connecting with the love of God.  This eternal love reached the deepest parts of me as I understood once again the connection to the source of all life.  In this moment surrounded by eternity, I felt God leading me into the great mystery.  A mystical moment where our lives where connected by the breath of God. There it was the peace that passes all understanding, the deeper knowing that love is eternal.  When have you felt this peace in your own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment